If you are in Big Emotion and your mind is spinning with chaotic thoughts, STOP is a DBT skill to develop tolerance to stress. In Faith infused DBT, Christian believers STOP to Connect to God to work with the body He made, hear the soul He designed, and access their spirit where He lives.
1) S – Stop and freeze to find your calm place
- This may be physically freezing or pushing away from the painful situation.
2) T – Take a break separating from emotion and connect to wisdom of Holy Spirit
- “Your feelings may be real but they may not be true.”
- Breathe in Holy Spirit deeeeeppppppply. Breathe out all negative excess emotions. Do this five times.
- Whisper a prayer “Holy Spirit, take me to Jesus. Let me feel his strength and power in me. Let me feel my father’s love and protection.” See the Big Emotions going away.
3) O – Observe what is going on inside and around you
- What is going on around you? Notice the colors, sounds, smells.
- What are your feelings?
- What are your thoughts?”
- Whisper a prayer. “Holy Spirit, I need your wisdom.”
4) P – Proceed now in wisdom
- Using the wisdom from God, proceed with awareness.
- Consider your goals and the people around you.