It seems every culture includes a version of a meat pie in their featured cuisine. How could the keto world not have their own meat pie dough? This can be used for the low carb lifestlye also.
I have used various meat pie fillings. I have found the more savory the better. I have also found less juicy will keep the dough from being too soft.
I gave the choice of using either psyllium husks, ground flax, or almond meal as one of the ingredients. I have worked with all three successfully. These modifications came as I tried to problem-solve my own food intolerances. I ended up with almond meal in the end.
Keto Meat Pie Dough
- 1¼ cup warm water, 110°F
- 1 pkt yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk or ground flax or almond meal
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine water, yeast, and sugar. Stir and let stand 15 minutes.
- In mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, anxanthum gum, salt, and your choice of psyllium husk, flax meal, or almond meal.
- Add yeast and olive oil and knead dough by hand for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the dough is done, splash hands with water and take a chunk of dough. Flatten into a circle on parchment paper. Place filling int he middle and wrap dough around making it into a ball that is sealed.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.