Being a Keto mom I am always looking for a bread recipe to feed the family. This recipe is an adaptation of several of my favorite bloggers and is still evolving as the best can only get better. My challenge is always being able to replicate success. Thus for, this one has been pretty consistent. I would love to hear your feedback and tricks you have learned.
The psyllium that you use does matter on the color of the bread but not the taste. I am a foodie, so purple bread offends my senses!!! Right now the ingredients I am using for the main ingredients are
I shop for my flour at Sam’s, egg whites at Aldi’s, and psyllium husk powder at Natural Grocers or Amazon. I have used Anonthy’s brand on Amazon but it gets pricey. It is on my list of things to do to figure out the nutrition. But it can vary by the size of the rolls.
Keto Yummy Dozen Buns
- 3 cups almond flour (10 oz.)
- 10 tbsp psyllium husk powder ground (90 g.)
- 2 tbsp baking soda sifted
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 1 tbsp garlic powder optional
- 1 tbsp basil optional
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup egg whites (or whites of 6 eggs)
- 1/4 cup oil (refined coconut or extra virgin olive)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl stand up mixer bowl and mix to blend.
3 cups almond flour (10 oz)
10 tbsp psyllium husk powder ground (90 g)
2 tbsp baking soda
½ tbsp Celtic sea salt
2 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
1 tbsp garlic powder, optional
1 tbsp basil, optional
- With mixer running on medium-low add boiling water and allow the dough to mix for 45
secs. You will see and hear the psyllium break and then restick together.
2 cups boiling water
- With the mixer still running on medium-low add and allow to mix thoroughly.
6 tbsp oil, coconut or olive
- With the mixer still running on medium-low add:
4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- With the mixer running on medium-low add egg whites and start the timer. Mix for 45 seconds. (Overmixing will make buns rise beautifully in the oven and fall to a gummy mess as they cool.)
1 cup egg whites, liquid or 6 egg whites
- Using a ½ cup food server scoop, measure dough into 12 dough. Moisten hands and smooth dough. Don’t overwork the dough as it will fall. Brush with olive or coconut oil and sprinkle
with seasoning. The dough will double to triple in size.
3 tbsp Everything Bagel seasoning, optional
- Bake for 55 minutes until bread sounds hollow. Underbaking will make the bread gummy inside.
- Allow to cool completely.
- These rolls freeze well and are the most stable I have found so far for sandwiches.