“Your Kingdom come,
Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
I wonder if we realize what we are praying for, what we are asking for when we pray this very familiar line from the Lord’s prayer?
In asking for the government of Heaven to come to earth, what are we saying?
f we were able to take a peek into the Throne room of Heaven what would we see? What would we hear? What is the business of the government of heaven? John got to peek. Thankfully he took the time to write it down so we could see, too. Revelations 4 and 5 are awe-inspiring glimpses in the government building of heaven.
The scene is:
- In the center, there is a throne. The man sitting on the throne is so beautiful that he looked like jasper and carnelian gemstones.
- There is an emerald rainbow. The throne was encircled with a ringed emerald light.
- There were 24 other thrones with 24 elders seated on them. They were dressed in white and had golden crowns.
- There is lightning and thunder. It is coming from the throne.
- There are 7 blazing lamps. These were the 7 spirits of God.
- There are 4 living creatures. They each have six wings and are covered with eyes like the pores of their skin. (Sounded kinda Star Trekky to me.)
- With every blink of their eyes, day and night, when these creatures see the man on the throne, from their heart erupts with fascination:
“Holy, holy, holy,
is the Lord God Almighty,
who was, and is, and is to come.”
- When the 24 elders hear the glory, honor, and gratefulness being expressed by the creatures, the elders fall down before the throne, laying their crowns down saying their own song:
“You are worthy, our Lord and God,
To receive glory and honor and power,
For you created all things,
And by your will they were created
And have their being.”
There is a sealed scroll in the right hand of the man on the throne. There was a conundrum in heaven because nobody had the authority to open it. Then the slain Lamb came and took the scroll.
What happened next is the reason why we pray, it is the reason why we agree with the will of heaven to come to earth.
It is the reason why we ask for the government of God to be in our hearts, our minds, our souls, our bodies.
For when the Lamb took the scroll, the four living creatures and the 24 elders fell down in worship before the Lamb and sang a new song. They were holding a harp and the prayers of the saints in a bowl full of incense. They sang a new song about His worthiness and what His blood did for us. Their song described the plan, the function, our role on the earth to be kings and priests reigning, ruling, governing, and agreeing with His ways so that His ways are the culture on earth.
So, what is going on in the government of heaven? When we pray, what are we agreeing with? It is in declaring WHO HE IS on earth, like they do in Heaven, that the rulership of the King of all Kings would come to this earth because the eyes of man would be so fascinated, intrigued, enamored with man who sits on the throne that their hearts would burn with righteousness and holy fire for Him.
“Our Father, who is in Heaven,
Sitting on the throne,
Your name, your beautiful name, encompasses Your holy character.
With every blink of my mind’s eye, let my heart erupt in praise for
‘To him who sits on the throne,
And to the Lamb,
Be praise and honor and glory and power, forever and ever!’
Let Your Kingdom come and You will be done
On earth, as it is in Heaven.
Let it come to this earth, to my world and let it begin in me, my heart.”
#6 Ponderings from the Sermon on the Mount
Leave a Reply